Dig deep to find your authentic truth


I recently read a friend’s post on Facebook. She talked about digging deeper, finding her truth. Figuring out who she was so that she could move forward in her life and business.

Then, at a coffee date, another friend and I spoke of how important it was for each of us to align our values with our lives. We spoke of the disconnect within ourselves when we weren’t respecting our core values; when our core values weren’t recognized and accepted by others for being important to us; and how rarely we actually take the time to dig deep to discover our true core values.

And I realized something…

As a woman, mother, daughter, friend, community member, and entrepreneur, I find that it is almost impossible to set aside the time to “dig deep.” We simply have too many roles we need to play! Instead we find ourselves shifting gears throughout the day.[1]

My journey over the past five years has been about digging deep: learning to understand and embrace my core values and the role they play in shaping my daily life and work. But I fought having to do this work—Every. Step. Of. The. Way.—and I still do, because there just isn’t enough time in the day.

For those of you who have known me for a while, you likely know that in the fall of 2013, I herniated two disks in my back[2]and then the following year, I herniated a disk again. All led to down time … time to think and ponder; to get out of my head and into my heart.

And yesterday, as I sat speaking with my friend over a quiet cup of tea, I reflected that I’d been forced by life and my injury to STOP and reflect on what was important to me (that and a not-so-gentle push by a friend). I have two journals filled with the heart-based work I did to really get in touch with who I was, why I do what I do, and what was important in my life.

In retrospect, this forced down time was a gift. It gave me time to really get to know who I was and what was important. It “paused” my journey long enough that I truly got to know my authentic self and to recognize that this internal work is essential when we want to live a life that truly reflects our best selves.

As a result of this work, I choose to live my life in the space that reflects my values and my purpose. I choose to create “inspired connections” with those in my community—some of whom share similar values and some of whom have very different values but respect and appreciate mine. Either way, they embrace me for being who I am and for what I represent. And that inspires me to live my authentic truth.

Today I celebrate that 95% of the time my daily activities reflect what is most important to me. The other 5% of the time, I acknowledge that life sometimes gives me lemons and I need to find a way to make lemonade (by blending my values, purpose, and passion for life in such a way that I make a tasty, if somewhat tart, concoction).

As we navigate the holiday season, I send out a wish to the universe that each of you can carve out time to “dig deep” and truly connect with yourself, to balance what’s in your heart with what is in your mind, and to create a life that empowers you to be #wildlysuccessful on your own terms.

[1]I speak about shifting gears in “Tug of War between the heart and mind.

[2]You can read the whole story at “Bedridden, bored, and bummed out: time to examine my life.”


0 views

Call

T: 604.476.2447


 

Follow HIP

  • Instagram
  • Facebook Clean
  • LinkedIn Clean

© 2003-2019 | Angie McLeod, HIP Strategic Consulting | All rights reserved.